Jan 31, 2013

Review/Swatches: Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette

I had the pleasure of finding the Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette under my tree this past Christmas. This little palette was Urban Decay's answer to the many cries for more matte choices in the Naked palette series.

For some reason, I have always been somewhat afraid of matte eye shadows. I always thought they would be difficult to blend and that they would just look bad on me. Well this palette has reinforced something I have heard many times in my life: don't make assumptions because you will be proven wrong at some point.

The Urban Decay Naked Basics palette features six eye shadows that either have a matte or satin finish.

The colors in this palette are: Venus (satin vanilla), Foxy (matte cream), W.O.S. or Walk of Shame (matte beige), Naked 2 (matte brownish taupe), Faint (matte medium brown with some warmth), and Crave (matte black).

I think this palette is perfect for somebody concerned about wearing work-appropriate makeup (however, not all places of employment are equal, so what is acceptable in one place will be unacceptable in another). I also recommend this if you need something to just carry in your makeup bag. It's a great size and has most of the colors I would absolutely need. I will say that for the sake of variety, I'd still probably take other palettes with me, but for the bare minimum, this is great.

To the left are some swatches of each color (Venus, Foxy, Walk of Shame, Naked 2, Faint, and then Crave).

The bottom line is that I highly recommend this palette. I don't think everybody will see it as a necessary addition to their collection, but I am pleased to have it since I can throw it in my bag if I need to do my makeup on the go (the Naked 1 and Naked 2 palettes would be great for travel, but they are way bigger than the bags I typically carry). The colors of the eye shadows work well together  If you're worried, I would suggest looking at it in person.

You can buy this for $27 anywhere Urban Decay is sold.

Is this a must-have or optional for you?

(Edit: it's my 100th blog post! How exciting is that?)

6 comments:

  1. I have had my eye on this palette for ages now! I know I would get a lot of use out of it as the shades are so wearable! Great review.

    I'm a new follower of your blog - I really like your layout!

    If you want to check out mine is http://thestellarskin.blogspot.co.uk/

    Looking forward to your future posts :)

    Rachel

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for commenting and following!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post, I really like the look of this palette it has all those must have shades. I've just got the Naked original palette so I might check this out next! :)

    http://make-up-mogul.blogspot.co.uk/

    -Lucy xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still don't have the original Naked palette, but as of right now I don't think I need it. That could change, though! haha

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your 100th post! I am trying so hard to resist getting this palette because I absolutely don't need any more eyeshadows, but my collection is seriously lacking matte shadows and these colors are so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely not necessary for my collection, but it's a great palette and I'm happy to have it. It'll probably be a staple once I have my internship this summer.

      Delete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.