Jan 2, 2013

Review: Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation

I know I have posted a mini-review on this product at some point in the past, but I think that it actually warrants a full post because of how much I like it.

I remember that when I started wearing makeup, mineral makeup was still very popular. However, it seems to me that a lot of people have either gone back to their liquid foundations or embraced the BB cream trend.

I've been using the Neutrogena Mineral Sheers Powder Foundation (SPF 20) off and on for the past few months (shade: Classic Ivory) and for a drugstore powder foundation, this is amazing!

I have spent a lot of time and money trying to find a foundation that matches my fair skin, lasts all day, and doesn't break me out. Well, I can say that this product blends into my skin nicely, lasts a few hours (I would say five or six... not as long as I would like, but longer than some), and I never experience any new breakouts from wearing this alone. As you can see from the pictures, I have hit pan on the foundation - I actually hit pan during my Thanksgiving break and I've used this almost every day I have worn makeup since then.

There is one thing, though... I have a problem with the ingredients. Since I will be buying less makeup in 2013, I have already decided that I want to replace the products I finish with paraben-free makeup. This foundation is not paraben free, so therefore I will not repurchase it. I like this product, but I don't like its ingredients. I'd also like to mention that since the use of parabens in skin care and makeup is a personal preference, I won't judge anybody for choosing not to eliminate them.

I do recommend this if you have sensitive skin and are not avoiding parabens because it gives a beautiful (semi-matte) finish. Even though it is a powder foundation, I wouldn't describe it as powdery or cakey. I don't know how this would look on drier skin types, but I do know it doesn't emphasize any dry patches on my face from the winter cold.

I do not recommend this if you have darker skin. There are only eight shades and the darkest one is Tan, which seriously limits who can try this foundation. Come on, cosmetic companies. You know better than this...

Alright, so aside from that little miniature rant, I really liked this foundation and I will be sad to finish it. This costs around $12 at drugstores, but it is worth the money (and it is even better if you can get it on sale).

What is your go-to foundation right now?

6 comments:

  1. I really like my bareMinerals Matte foundation in the lightest color they have. The original makes me oily and breaks me out. I also really like the Sonia Kashuk Radiant tinited moisturizer in the color fair. I'm fair like you are and that's pretty much the only thing that almost matches my skin perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know! I have a Bare Minerals matte foundation but the color is wrong for me, especially during the winter, so I've never really given it a fair shot. I'll have to try it in the summer :)
      Thanks for the recommendations!

      Delete
  2. This looks great! Lately I've been loving my Neutrogena Healthy Skin Foundation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that. I liked the formula, but the color I picked didn't work for me.

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this looks great... I may have to pick it up next time I go to the store!


    www.thebellebeautyblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! Hopefully you like it as much as I did

      Delete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.