Nov 5, 2012

Review: Kiss My Face Olive & Green Tea Soap

I tried the Kiss My Face Olive & Green Tea soap after having a less than perfect experience with Kirk's castile soap. Spoiler alert: I have a very different opinion on this.


There are six different versions/scents of this soap. All of them come in 4 ounce and 8 ounce bars and depending on where you buy them, the 8 ounce bars will often cost $3 to $4 (the 4 ounce bars are $2 to $3). All of these soaps are olive oil-based. All of the bars are also free of artificial dyes, parabens, SLS, and gluten. The packaging (just paper) is also eco-friendly and the soap itself is biodegradable. Now, here is a comparison of the different variations Kiss My Face has to offer:
  • Pure Olive Oil: The only one from this line that is completely fragrance free. I'm not sure if it has an unpleasant odor, but I will be trying it in the future. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride
  • Olive & Aloe: The added aloe vera is meant to be healing for the skin. It has an artificial fragrance that is not described on the website, so I can't say what it smells like. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Aloe Vera, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance
  • Olive & Honey: The added honey is supposed to add even more moisture to the bar. I haven't smelled it, but the biggest complaint I've seen in reviews for this bar is the fragrance, and I haven't found this in any of the stores that sell the other soaps. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride, Honey, Fragrance
  • Chammomile Olive: Chammomile has calming and soothing qualities to it, so that would be the extra benefits you would get from this bar. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Chamomile, Sodium Chloride, Fragrance
  • Olive & Green Tea (the one I have): Green tea adds anti-inflammatory properties to this soap. I definitely noticed that my skin is softer after I use it. I've used it on my face with no problems (I did so out of curiosity because I really want to have a natural soap I can use on my face and body). I don't love the way it smells when I'm using it, but it leaves my skin smelling nice, so I won't complain at all. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Green Tea, Sodium Chloride, parfum.
  • Olive & Lavender: Lavender is said to be antiseptic and soothing to the skin. I've smelled this one before and it's not bad, but it's not my favorite scent either. The ingredients are: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender), Sodium Chloride, Fragrance
Some common complaints for these bars is that they become mushy if they sit in water in the shower, but to be honest, I can't think of a soap that doesn't do that. I always have my soap dry out of the bathroom. Another potential issue is that if you have the bigger soap, you'll notice that it doesn't exactly fit a soap dish. It can either be cut into smaller pieces or you can just do what I do and have as much of it as possible in a soap dish without having the ability to put the lid on (it's actually pretty amusing to see how the soap doesn't fit in the dish... I need to get out more often). I don't really need the lid at the moment anyway, so this is far from being a deal-breaker for me. Another issue people commonly mention is that this soap does not foam up much. I just use a net bath sponge (also commonly called a loofah, although technically the two are very different), and I get a nice lather. One thing to remember is that the lather from most cleansers can actually be drying, so I tend to like things that aren't as foamy, but still leave my skin feeling clean.

The important thing to always consider is quality, and I think this stuff is great. I feel as if this bar will last me a very long time with proper care, which will save me a hefty amount of money in the long run. I couldn't be more pleased. My skin is softer and it just feels healthier. The weather is getting cold, but my skin is not getting dry, and that is amazing. I've tried this on my face a few times and it feels nice, but this won't be my every day cleanser for a while. I've got another bar of soap that I am using on my face at the moment. Oh, and I thought it would be important to note that I have been using this for around two weeks. Usually I know within a couple of days if I like a body wash or soap.

I've also read that people have used these soaps in place of conventional shampoo. I haven't tried it, but I plan to try it on a day when I won't be going anywhere (just in case things don't go well).

The bottom line is that I do recommend this soap and I can't wait to try the other scents.
Not the prettiest soap, but it works well.
Click the picture to enlarge it (if you want to see the label)
What is your favorite soap/body wash?

PS- if you order anything from KissMyFace.com from now until Friday, November 9, then 50% of the revenue from your purchase will go to relief efforts for those affected by Hurricane Sandy. Not sponsored, I just thought I would let everybody know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.