Nov 2, 2012

Review: Kirk's Original Coco Castile Soap

I've been on a bit of a "natural product" hunt lately. Since I am close to finishing most of the body soaps I have, I thought I would pick out a few different soaps to try out. I bought Kirk's Original Coco Castile on a recommendation my dad made. He said he loved this soap when he was younger, so I thought it would be worth a try. Apparently Kirk's has been around since 1839, which I thought was interesting. To me, it says the brand has loyal fans and it is probably still around for a reason.

Kirk's Castile soap has two versions (Original and Fragrance Free) and very short list of ingredients: Coconut Soap, Water, Vegetable Glycerin, Coconut Oil, Natural Fragrance. Of course, the fragrance free version has that same list of ingredients with the exception of "natural fragrance"

Something I loved about Kirk's was that it just used paper for the packaging and the soaps are inexpensive. And by inexpensive I mean each bar costs about $1.50 (or less, depending on where you buy it) for a 4 ounce bar. You can also buy a pack of three, which is what I did. Now... I don't have any pictures of this soap because I don't have it with me. I do have a cropped version of the picture from my haul, so that way you can sort of see what the packaging looks like from the side (I don't like to use stock photos, so that's why I'm not using one).


I really enjoyed the way this felt on my skin. It lathered nicely and made me feel clean. The issue is that my skin didn't react well to it (I was getting bumps on my arms). However, I've noticed I sometimes have this problem with Dr. Bronner's soap too. My guess is that my skin probably just doesn't work well with coconut-based soaps. Thankfully I have the Kiss My Face soap to try out, because it looks promising. I still recommend this because it is inexpensive, other people seem to love it, and it made my skin feel nice. I also think that at the price, it's worth a shot if you are looking for something new. I will probably give these to my dad or find another use for them.

Have you tried Kirk's? Have you tried any other castile soaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.