Oct 21, 2012

Packaging: It Matters

This is a bit different than any post I have written before. It is inspired by the fact that my little sample sized container of Benefit Ooh La Lift almost made it into my October Empties post. Almost. Then I decided it wouldn't be fair to toss it without at least removing the stopper. And you know what? I'm glad I did it. Even though I received it as a gift, I still feel better when I finish things up properly and the only time I tend to throw something away or give it away is if it breaks me out or the color doesn't suit me.


For me, quality packaging is important. By that I am not talking about how something looks (although that certainly helps to sell the product because most consumers are attracted to pretty packaging). The important factor for me is how the packaging functions. The old packaging for the Urban Decay Primer Potion was infamous for being wasteful... people had to cut the tube open to get every bit of product out (which was also pretty dangerous). About a year or two ago, Urban Decay changed their original Primer Potion packaging (left in the photo below) to be in a tube like Too Faced Shadow Insurance (right in the photo below).


As for thick cream products, they generally come in a pencil/stick form or (better yet) a pot, so the Maybelline Color Tattoos and MAC Paint Pots fit the latter description. With these types of packaging, I expect the product to be sealed tight so it doesn't dry out easily. The same goes for pencils (such as the Stila Smudge Crayon).


As for foundations, I don't understand why any liquid foundation would come in a glass container without a pump. It wastes product and is just overall messy.

I hope this post wasn't too rambly. I just wanted to share my opinion on packaging for various products. Doesn't everybody want to get the most out of the products they pay for?

What is your basic packaging criteria?

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you about the foundations with no pumps, I'd be so annoyed if I bought a high end foundation like NARS sheer glow and it had no pump. Surely they're not expensive for the company to add one to the packaging. xx

    ReplyDelete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.