Sep 9, 2012

Review: Stila Smudge Crayons

It's not exactly a secret that I love cream eye shadows. I rave about the Maybelline Color Tattoos all the time and before the Color Tattoos were released, I was seriously considering a trip to the MAC counter for some Paint Pots. However, sometimes I wish I had a good cream eye shadow in the form of a stick. Well, I think I may have found the perfect one for me!


Right now is Ulta's 21 days of beauty, so they have great deals going on every day for 3 weeks. One of the deals was buy one get one free for the Stila Smudge Crayons. On that particular day, I was at school and there was no way I'd be able to make the trip to the nearest Ulta.... however, my mom actually surprised me and picked up the shades "Rose" and "Antique" for me because she knew I like cream eye shadows and I'd mentioned these to her before. Another thing that's important to note is the hefty price tag for these : $22. The good thing is that Stila works pretty hard to convince you that the purchase is worth it. Here's what the Stila Smudge Crayons supposedly will do for you:
  • It functions as a primer, eye shadow, and eye liner all in one
  • The formula is creamy, yet doesn't crease
  • It is long wearing and water-resistant
  • The shades are bold and pigmented
  • Vitamin E soothes and protects your eye area
  • The pointed tip makes application easier, plus there is a sharpener included if you want to use it as an eyeliner
The only point I can't confirm or deny is the "soothing" or "protecting" aspect from the vitamin E. These sticks are creamy, they don't crease, and the colors are beautiful. You can blend the product as soon as you apply it, but once it dries, it stays that way all day. As of right now, there are 8 shades available, including Kitten. I can't really compare these to any other stick cream eye shadows because I've never tried anything like these (I'm not counting the NYX jumbo sticks because those aren't long wearing at all). I like that if you would rather not sharpen these, you don't have to (in fact, that is a big reason I have yet to try the Urban Decay 24/7 cream eye shadows... it's because I hate sharpening the eyeliners). Ulta also has a "try me" set with three shades. The downside? It is $22 and you get miniature sizes.

The only reason I am reluctant to give this a glowing review is the price. I think Stila set the price point a little too high, because $22 for 1 gram of product is ridiculous to say the least, since the Color Tattoos contain 4 grams. However, it doesn't change the fact that the product inside is amazing. I think a more appropriate price would be maybe $18, but clearly that's not up to me ;)

I also recommend swatching these in the store so you can see if you like the texture for yourself... but please don't put the one on display anywhere near your eyes. You never know where it has been, but if you put it on your hand, you can just wash it right off once you try the product for yourself.

Below are the swatches of Rose (top) and Antique (bottom). Left is the original swatch and right is after 30 seconds and some rubbing. If I would have waited another 30 seconds, then the second picture would look exactly like the first. Quite amazing, if I say so myself! 

What is your favorite longwearing cream eye shadow?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.