Aug 10, 2012

Back to School: College Cleaning Supplies

For this portion, I will be veering off from the subject of makeup, but I will be discussing some of my essentials for my room in terms of cleaning. As I have mentioned before, I live in a suite with two bedrooms, a small common area with two sinks, and one bathroom. I know plenty of other schools do this and I am not sure what their rules are, but at my school we are responsible for cleaning everything ourselves. I like having that level of responsibility because I have already learned a bit about what products and techniques I like and dislike. I think some schools might provide basic cleaning products that can be used as well, but I just prefer bringing my own things.

Now, this post will show some items that are applicable to students living in traditional dorm rooms and it might have less than what would be necessary for an apartment. There are a few items I do not have with me, but I will still discuss them because they were items I used last year and thought to be quite useful.

In terms of cleaning supplies, I like to keep it simple. The fewer products and ingredients used, the better. Most of the items I bought this year were by Method, which can most commonly be found at Target, but also online. I've also seen it sold at some health food stores, so that might be another great place to look.


  1. Method All-Purpose Surface Cleaner in French Lavender: I prefer multipurpose cleaners rather than having a separate cleaner for every single item. It will clean counters, tile, stone, wood, and glass. Now if it's the shower or toilet, I use something else!
  2. Method Daily Shower Cleaner (Ylang Ylang): this had ingredients differing enough from the all purpose cleaner for the purchase to be worth it. And it's simple to use. Just spray and go! It can be used on showers (I should hope so! It is called a shower cleaner, after all), tiles, fixtures, glass, and tubs.
  3. Method Antibac Toilet: Well, I never said every item I would feature on my blog would be pleasant. Toilets need to be cleaned too, and this cleaner gets the bowls, seats, and under the icky rim. And it smells like spearmint!



As for items I did not show, here are some I recommend:
  1. Paper towels
  2. Rubber gloves
  3. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser sponge (or a normal sponge)
  4. Disinfecting wipes (just in case someone has a cold)
  5. Drano or some other form of clog remover
Hopefully I have been helpful. I know there are probably items I have forgotten to include, but I am learning as I go, so by next year I should be a pro at this.

2 comments:

  1. Is it weird that I really like the sound of that toilet cleaner? lol I love anything spearmint scented/flavoured! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it's weird, but I also love spearmint scents, so I'm biased :D

      Delete

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.