Jul 22, 2012

Beauty at Home, Part 3: Masks

This part has one of my favorite masks and one of my least favorite masks. I am only mentioning the least favorite one because it has worked beautifully for other people, so I feel it's only fair to share it.

Aspirin, lemon, and honey mask:

  • 2 uncoated aspirin tablets (you can use more, but it is important to make sure they are uncoated... I typically find that the generic brands have uncoated aspirin)
  • 1-2 teaspoons of honey - to make the mask stick (I don't use a precise measurement, but I think I probably use 1-2 tsp)
  • Squirt of lemon juice (preferably a fresh lemon, but if you have bottled lemon juice it will work as well)

Mix the ingredients together and leave the mask on for 10-15 minutes. Long enough for the ingredients to work together, but not so long that it damages your skin! When you wash the mask off, massage your skin gently so the aspirin can exfoliate your skin. I would say that this mask is probably safest to use once per week and I don't recommend using this if you are under the age of 18 or pregnant because of the aspirin. You could also substitute the aspirin for a teaspoon of baking soda.

Basic honey mask:

  • 1 tablespoon of honey (yeah, that's really the only ingredient I'm officially listing)

Of all the masks I am listing, this is probably my favorite because it is basic and I see the biggest difference in my skin when I use it. Sometimes I add a packet of sugar if I want to exfoliate. I have left this mask on by accident in the past and I haven't had any issues with it irritating my skin, but I would suggest leaving this mask on for about 20 minutes. I've also put cinnamon and nutmeg in the mask but I don't notice a significant difference. I might notice it if I always put cinnamon and nutmeg in the mask, though.

Honey and Yogurt mask:

  • 1 tablespoon Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon honey

This is the mask that didn't work for me. I have read so many recipes and reviews and I wanted to love this mask, but I didn't. In fact, it gave me the worst breakout I've had in at least a year (I am currently recovering from that very breakout and this was the only very recent change in my routine). I left this mask on for 20 minutes.

These are the masks I've tried so far, so if I try any more on I will do another post! I hope you've enjoyed the series so far. I have one more post that I definitely have planned for the series. It will probably go up after my vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment if you'd like! I'll try to reply soon, but if I forget to, just find me and whack me on the head.